27.6.13

A taste of the journo world

Recalling how I first step foot in NST office for the interview, I was awed. No, I wasn't young, I joined at the age of 29 after working as a lecturer for a few years. I loved teaching, but the passion to teach was fast degenerating. And I knew why. 

I wasn't teaching the subject I loved most. I loved writing. I loved reading, and I loved the English language since I was a child. Quoting my father, he used to say:

"English is the most beautiful language in the world. U can say anything you want in a thousand ways."

And so I took the leap. I changed professions. It was a big scary office then. I knew nuts about the news. Never even read much news then. But I learnt. Placed in the online desk, it came easy, at least the tech part, that is.

And I fell in love with it. The exhilaration of getting the news first. Of anticipating for news even when the whole world was not even aware of it. And I persevered. I learnt the ropes, and the nature of news.

After almost 5 years, I had the misfortune of meeting a politically motivated person, who, to my disadvantage, had connections and network to get me removed from my post. 

I wasn't impressed, definitely. But there's plenty more where it came from, at least if you rely on your own capabilities and not the people you know, that is. I was annoyed with how I was 'transferred' but oh well, life has to go on. 

Anyway, and then I started my duties in my new department. I was then transferred to the newsdesk, the heart of the paper. And of course, usually where the yelling is usually done.

It was hard. Getting information, understanding it, and writing it. Learning everything on-the-job wasn't exactly easy on the nerves as well. But I tried. I'm still trying but the darndest thing happened, I began to like it. 

Oh man... 

They say if you love journalism, you are actually already screwed. Inside. But I had plans still, plans that I have been putting on hold for a long time.

Dream to realise my father's wishes to get a PhD. So I tendered my resignation, and I am happy I am wise enough to know what's best for me. Anyway, in view of the family constraints, I guess it is really for the best.

Some asked me why I tendered when I am already at a comfortable salary. I guess money is not everything. And trust me it's not easy especially when I have to watch my spending after this... lol...

So I'm making another leap. God willing it will be one step higher... 


No comments: